Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 15, 2012

First Quarter

Folks just don't understand how excited I am that my daughter has overcome the odds of being dimissed and thought of as having social/emotional issues. Her sophmore year, at a school in Howard County (which will remain nameless) was about to write her off. As her momma, it was my duty to get to the bottom of why my child, who use to obtain honor roll status and just do well overall had gone down hill. I mean failing badly academically and it was looking hopeless in terms of what college she would have an option of going. I spent countless days, minutes, and hours, fussing and cussing daily about why she wasn't doing well, causing so much stress on me, her and the household in general. We, as parents are quick to blame the company they keep,etc. and a small percentage was that. However, the bottom line was she had issues with focusing and distractions. The teacher reports (all 7-9 of them) stated that that was a big issue for her. So, after constant meetings at her school and fighting to assure her success, I moved forward and took her to her primary care doctor. After reviewing all the documents, he asked me "what is the school doing?" when I explain what their take was he made it clear, that wasn't her issue. My child's issue wasn't social/emotional at all, her issue was FOCUS. Granted, I'm not one to be the first in line to medicate a child, however, I knew this is what was needed to order for my child to regain her love of school and feel accomplished. So, April 18, 2012, that move was made and every since things have been better. And after deciding the medication move and then deciding to move her from that school (which still will remain nameless) and transferring to the MCPS school district (where she should have probably stayed) she finished her first quarter as a JUNIOR with a 3.71...................Hot damn, she is doing the doggone thing and to just think where we were last school year, I praise God for deliverance and guidance through this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment